City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

"People aren't born good or bad. Maybe they're born with tendencies either way, but it's the way you live your life that matters."
The Mortal Instruments:
1) City of Bones 🌟🌟🌟
2) City of Ashes 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Summary (From Goodreads)

To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of the New York Times bestselling series The Mortal Instruments.

My Thoughts

I absolutely adored this book and it is my favorite of the first three books of The Mortal Instruments series. Originally, this book was supposed to be final book of the trilogy, before Cassandra Clare decided to add three more for the series. City of Glass gave all of the closure, backstory, and answered questions that I needed and left me feeling so good once I finished. It was full of action scenes, romantic vibes, and necessary answers and I am just so in love with it. 

Cassandra Clare's writing was breathtaking, especially during the Clary and Jace scenes, like wow. The twists that were discovered in this book were insane and there were many times while I was reading that I was just shouting to myself and flipping the pages to find out more information. I can't say enough how much I enjoyed this book and how it easily became my favorite of the three I have read. I am so impressed by how Cassandra Clare grew as an author and how much she progressed during the span of these three books. 

(Stop reading now if you haven't read this series - many spoilers below!!)

What Worked:

  • Scene change!!!
    • I actually felt like I was in Idris, so props to Cassandra Clare for her writing again because she has got a gift
    • I appreciated that we left the streets of Manhattan for the beautiful setting of Idris and I could imagine how peaceful it was (when there is not a war going on and demons aren't running rampant) 
    • I'm interested to see where the other books take us, whether it's back to New York, staying in Idris, or a new setting entirely
  • CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
    • We learned so much about the characters that are in this series, that I can't really think of any of them as being an entirely "minor character" (except maybe Maia?)
    • We saw: 
      • Clary stepping up and taking charge
      • Jace showing his vulnerable side
      • Simon being an amazing, selfless guy
      • Luke expressing himself to Jocelyn (finally)
      • Jocelyn!! She should practically be her own bullet. I was so excited to finally get her perspective on things that only she could possibly know, especially because it was getting tiresome hearing about every hospital visit
      • Alec and Magnus 💓
      • Isabelle showing her dedication and loyalty for her family
      • Amatis just seems like an absolute doll 
      • Learning about the mysterious Valentine & Sebastian
  • Plot Twists
    • And boy were there many of them 
    • Some of them I was expecting... like Clary and Jace not being siblings & why Simon was so special 
    • Sebastian was an interesting introduction - I would really like to learn more about how Valentine raised him as a child compared to Jace and something tells me that Sebastian is not actually dead yet...
    • That ending with the Angel Raziel was fascinating 
  • SIMON
    • He absolutely made himself a major character in this book
    • The amount of times he acted bravely and was willing to give up his own life to help Clary and people that he barely knew was amazing
    • I love Simon now for everything he did during this book 

What Didn't Work:

  • This is tough, because I really loved this book and can't think of a lot of things that I did not enjoy
  • I still thought it was a little weird that Clary and Jace acted so romantic towards each other before they knew that they were not related, even though I saw it coming
    • It's just weird to think about this playing out in real life because it's such a taboo, so when I really thought about it this way I was kind of cringing
  • Besides that, the only other thing I can think of is the amount of tantrums Clary pulled at the beginning of the book
    • The one that especially bothered me was when she first saw her mother and she immediately started yelling at her...like couldn't that have waited until you at least gave her a hug? She was in a coma for three weeks or so, and she decides to yell at her?! I was not a fan of that

Characters

  • Clary
    • She really stepped up and took charge in this book and I was really waiting for that!!
    • I love the idea that she can recreate ancient runes or possibly make new ones because this can really come in handy, as we already saw 
    • I hope her tantrums do die down though in the rest of the series...
  • Jace
    • I appreciated seeing a more vulnerable side to Jace in this book, since the only side we saw was a colder and sarcastic one
    • I love that him and Clary have some blood of the angels in them, and that he actually does not have blood of demons because he was getting really angsty while he thought that
    • I'm interested to see how their relationship goes as they are now free to openly date...I'm guessing it can't be that easy though!
"'There is no pretending,' Jace said with absolute clarity. 'I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then.'"
  • I already talked about Simon, but I just love him so much
  • Jocelyn
    • I was excited that she is finally awake and we can hear her perspective of Valentine and have her involved in the action
    • I do understand why she did what she did to Clary and how she was only protecting her, but it sounds like there are some other secrets that she hasn't shared yet...
    • Luke and Jocelyn are adorable, and I am so glad that they finally shared their feelings with each other (I thought that part was so cute when Clary drew the rune that showed people who they truly loved and Luke saw Jocelyn)
    • I'm just happy Clary finally has her mother back and can go to her for advice or to learn more about her past
  • I can't think of much else to say about the other characters, but I was happy with how all of them were developed in City of Glass

Things I Want To See in The Next Three Books

  • Clary using more of her special powers & being a badass Shadowhunter
  • Simon being a cool vampire & what the rune will do 
  • Jace going back to normal and not being so angsty and depressed
  • Alec and Magnus scenes
  • Clary and Jace scenes, let's be real, I love these
  • Simon and Isabelle maybe? I'm not really digging him and Maia
  • Jocelyn and Luke getting married
  • Clary, Jace, Simon, Alec, Isabelle, Magnus and Maia being everyone's squad goals
  • Another scene change? I don't really want to go back to New York; I wouldn't even mind if they stay in Idris
  • Shadowhunters and Downworlders staying friends
  • More badass characters
As you can probably already tell, I absolutely loved City of Glass. I think I am going to continue reading in publication order, so that means my next read will be Clockwork Angel. I am really going to miss these characters, but I am excited to see what Cassandra Clare has in store for The Infernal Devices series. I rated this book 5 stars because AMAZING and I am so ready to see how the rest of the books will go!!

"...but, Clary, since the first time I saw you, I have belonged to you completely. I still do. If you want me."

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Kristen

Book enthusiast and avid reader of all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment