City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

"It means 'Shadowhunters: Looking Better in Black Than the Widows of Our Enemies Since 1234'."

Summary (From Goodreads)

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know... 
Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

My Thoughts

I read this book about five years ago, but recently I decided to read this again because I had never finished The Mortal Instruments series and I wanted to do that now. I thought City of Bones was interesting and excited me to continue reading the rest of the books in the series, especially after hearing such rave reviews for them. I am devoting all my time to finish this series this summer before I read anything else, just because I feel like I am the only YA reader who hasn't finished it yet...and I have FOMO. 

City of Bones was not my favorite book in the world, but I think it spent a lot of time developing the Shadowhunter world and giving readers information they need to know for the rest of the series. There were times when I got bored, but I am going to keep going with these books and see if I enjoy the others and if they live up to their hype. 

(Read at own risk - just in case of spoilers)

What Worked:

  • World Developing
    • City of Bones most definitely gave a lot of back information about the Shadowhunter world, between the relationships with vampires and werewolves or the countless demons that the Shadowhunters come in contact with, I learned a lot while reading this book
    • (this is a pro/con but for now a pro)
    • This world involves every creature imaginable and it is interesting to see how they interact with each other and who the Shadowhunters trust (which does not seem like many people)
  • Piquing Interest
    • Although it wasn't the best book, it still made me interested enough to want to keep reading the series, so that is a plus!
    • I think it will be entertaining to see how the Shadowhunters deal with Valentine and the many battles that are sure to come
    • Also, whatever is going on with Clary and Jace

What Didn't Work:

  • Pacing
    • My main problem with this first book was how slow it was at times
    • The world was definitely being developed, but there were times where it was just getting boring and I wanted some action!!
    • Also, does anyone else think Cassandra Clare's chapters are insanely long??
    • Again, I know Cassandra was trying to give readers information about this new world which is not the worst thing to do, but it got a little bit old for me
  • That Whole Sister/Brother Relationship Going On
    • I have a feeling that Clary and Jace will end up not being related because, let's be honest, it's kind of hard not to ship them together when the author is basically throwing it in your face that they love each other so much
    • But, it is very weird when they actually believe they are related 
    • I mean, come on, that is just incest!!
    • So, let's hope they are not related, so this sexual tension can be resolved ASAP

Characters

  • Clary
    • She's a pretty relatable character for girl readers
    • I mean she is basically just thrown into this whole world that she knew nothing about and had her memories taken from her, so you just have to feel for her 
    • I wish people gave her more credit, I don't know, like more training or something...they basically just think that she is incompetent just because she is a "human"
    • Literally every time she wants to join them on some adventure, there is at least a paragraph where someone refuses to let her come and it's just annoying...she is technically a Shadowhunter too!! 
  • Jace
    • Daddy issues LOL
    • But, honestly, this poor guy...of course his defense mechanism is sarcasm when his father basically manipulated him and he watched "him" die
    • Anybody would have issues if they saw the person they thought was their father die
    • Also, his father killed his pet bird that he loved so much, like that is actually so heartbreaking!! 
    • He's that beautiful boy character that has those issues that people just have to crack, so he can become vulnerable and a normal guy
    • I feel for him and I like him 
"The boy never cried again, and he never forgot what he'd learned: that to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed."
  • Simon
    • I feel so bad for Simon!! He is just a normal human guy who had nothing to do with this world and was just in love with his childhood best friend when his whole life gets turned upside down
    • I don't really like his whole relationship with Clary, like just give her a break and let her choose who she wants to love without you forcing her into a relationship. It was just getting annoying because he didn't even ask her to go out with him and he expects so much from her! Just be her best friend and let her come to terms with her feelings. 
    • Still, there were times where I literally laughed out loud at Simon and how just human he is compared to the rest of them 
    • Like when he was trying to impress Isabelle because she said she liked bad boys and he tried to put on a menacing look, but then Clary caught him so he stopped ...too cute
  • Valentine
    • Go away!!!! 
    • Obviously, I am not a fan of this evil guy and I just want him out of there
    • Like who tells their child that loving somebody will destroy them?? You are just asking to give them issues
Overall, I thought this was an enjoyable read and rated it three stars. I am excited to continue reading and getting hooked on this world and these characters with the next books in the series!

🌟🌟🌟

Kristen

Book enthusiast and avid reader of all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment