Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare (I GUSH OVER HOW MUCH I LOVE IT)

"Life is a book and there are a thousand pages I have not yet read."
The Infernal Devices:
1) Clockwork Angel 🌟🌟🌟🌟
2) Clockwork Prince 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Summary (From Goodreads)

Danger and betrayal, love and loss, secrets and enchantment are woven together in the breathtaking finale to the #1 New York Times bestselling Infernal Devices Trilogy, prequel to the internationally bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

THE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING

A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.

Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.

As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.

My Thoughts

I am completely at a loss for words. All I can really emphasize is how much I am absolutely in love with this series. After finishing this book, I can 100% say that The Infernal Devices is superior to The Mortal Instruments. It just is. Whatever The Mortal Instruments made me feel before does not compare to how addicted I am to this series. Everything about The Infernal Devices is amazing and I will have an extremely difficult time coming up with anything that I disliked about Clockwork Princess. If you scroll down to the end of this blog post and see my Goodreads Updates, you will notice that I had a lot of feelings about this book. And all of them just made me fall deeper and deeper in love. The Infernal Devices have most definitely become one of my all-time favorite series. There is no question. I don't know how I will be able to get my thoughts into words after finishing Clockwork Princess because my mind is still reeling from the emotions I felt.

Let me tell you, there were many emotions felt throughout this book. I cried, I smiled, I laughed, I shouted, I fell in love. This book is the definition of an emotional roller coaster. The friendship, the romance, the feelings of this book are just utter perfection. The book is literally a gift, wrapped in beautiful wrapping paper and tied with a bow. Can I just read it over and over again?! 

I love how everything ties together in Clockwork Princess. The twists and turns are beautifully written and kept me wanting more. Speaking of Cassandra Clare's writing ... it is fantastic. The amount of times I wanted to scribble down quotes were too many to count. I loved witnessing her improvement in writing, since reading City of Bones, because she has such a wonderful way of making you feel emotions and attaching you to characters. I loved every single character in this series. Okay, maybe there are a couple that I disliked, but it was because Cassandra taught me to dislike them. I cannot emphasize enough how wonderfully written this series is. 

I seriously want to cry that this series is over for me. Of course, I can reread it over and over (which I will be doing), but nothing will compare to the first time you read these books. I loved following every character's thoughts and actions, feeling their emotions as they did. I loved reading about the action and fights, furiously flipping the pages to see if everyone ends up okay. I loved finding out twists, gasping in surprise at things I did not expect. I loved watching the characters grow, and ultimately being happy and becoming their best selves. This will always be considered one of my favorite series of all time, and I strongly encourage everybody who hasn't yet read it, to put down whatever you are reading right now and do it, because you will not regret it. 

(Stop now if you haven't read the series & come back later!!)

What Worked:

  • Can I say everything!? Yes, I can. Because everything worked, but I will go into detail, so I will always remember. 
  • The friendship between Will and Jem is the best thing about this series. I have never read of any other characters who were so tied together and just loved each other wholeheartedly and without fail. Their friendship is honestly inspiring. Their scenes made me bawl, let me tell you.
    • They made so many sacrifices for each other, without regrets. They would truly lay down their lives for each other without any questions. I thought it was fitting that they both fell in love with the same woman and that woman fell in love with both of them. Because they are not the same person without the other. They just complete each other and I am in love. 
    • "'They say you cannot love two people equally at once,' she said. 'And perhaps for others that is so. But you and Will -- you are not like two ordinary people, two people who might have been jealous of each other, or who would have imagined my love for one of them diminished by my love of the other. You merged your souls when you were both children. I could not have loved Will so much if I had not loved you as well. And I could not love you as I do if I had not loved Will as I did.'"
    • I love how Jem was Will's "greatest sin." They needed each other and provided what the other could not give. Everything was beautiful about their friendship and I wish I had more words to describe it.
    • I need to write this in here, so I will always remember it, but the part in the epilogue when Will is about to die and Jem comes to do the service and plays the song of friendship on his violin, even though Silent Brothers aren't allowed to play music. Like, cmon, that is just amazing. I cried, for probably the hundredth time while reading. 
    • Can I have a friendship like theirs now?!
"And now I need you to do for me what I cannot do for myself. For you to be my eyes when I do not have them. For you to be my hands when I cannot use my own. For you to be my heart when mine is done beating."
  • The romance
    • Of course, the romance in Clockwork Princess has to be spoken of. Can someone speak to me the way these characters do about how much they love each other? Every word was so stunning and made you feel what they were feeling. 
    • It wasn't even just the romance with Tessa, Will, and Jem. Gideon spoke beautiful words to Sophie, Henry to Charlotte, and Gabriel to Cecily. They all made you feel just wonderful things and I loved that they all ended up being happy. 
  • All of the characters
    • Check out below when I talk about each character and you will see that I literally loved all of them. (Except a few, but they got what they deserved.) Even Jessamine became good and redeemed my faith in her! 
  • Reading the letters
    • I thought it was interesting that we were able to read some of the letters that the Shadowhunters sent to each other. It gave us a deeper glimpse into their lives and we learned so much more about what was happening.
    • Of course, my favorite letter has to be the one that Will wrote to Tessa in A Tale of Two Cities. Also, I love how Jace Herondale winds up with that same copy of the book and reads it to Clary. Literally, this whole world just comes full circle over and over again. 
  • Emotions
    • I've already talked about all of the emotions that Clockwork Princess made me feel, but I'll reiterate it. I have never felt so many emotions in one book. I felt the love characters felt, the pain, the lust, the suffering, and much, much more. This ties in with Cassandra's writing, which I talk about in a bit, but it was just an amazing reading experience to connect so much with a story's characters and feel all of the emotions that they do. 
  • Connections to The Mortal Instruments 
    • This series taught me how much I love when two stories connect. I loved all of the subtle nods to The Mortal Instruments and the subtle nods to The Infernal Devices. They are so interesting to me!! When I'm reading The Mortal Instruments, it reminds me of how much I love The Infernal Devices and when I'm reading The Infernal Devices, I'm so excited that they relate to The Mortal Instruments
    • Jace owning Will's A Tale of Two Cities book, Brother Zachariah, Magnus, Church, Isabelle's ruby pendant, the list goes on and on...
  • Cassandra Clare's Writing
    • If you follow me on Goodreads, you will notice how many quotes I have liked from this book and there are a million more that I connected with while reading. I just wanted to write them all down. Her writing was absolutely breathtaking in Clockwork Princess; I just can't get over it. 
  • The epilogue
    • That epilogue is one of the best things I have ever read in my life. I am not kidding. Every word was so meaningful and made me so emotional. It was so interesting to hear about the happiness of all of the characters' lives because they truly deserved it. I thought it was so fitting that it was set in the Blackfriars Bridge, Tessa and Jem's meeting spot. There were so many memories tied to that place and they all came rushing back to Tessa while she was waiting for Jem. It was just beautiful. 
    • Everything just ties together wonderfully in the epilogue, with Tessa and Jem being reunited and starting their new life together. I am so interested to see if they will pop up in City of Heavenly Fire and The Dark Artifices series. I hope they do!!
"At last, the wheel comes full circle."

What Didn't Work:

  • Everything worked and there is nothing I will complain about this series, except for the fact that I want more books in it. However, these are perfect and I don't wish to change a single thing about them.
  • Instead, I will talk about the characters that I hated.
    • The Consul
    • Mortmain
    • Benedict Lightwood
  • You all got what you deserved because you didn't believe in my favorite Shadowhunters and even caused them pain!! May everyone who hurts these Shadowhunters contract demon pox.

Characters

  • Tessa
    • I want to be Tessa. She has the hearts of Will and Jem, obviously I am jealous. I think she is such a mature and selfless character, a lot different from Clary in that way. It says something that even though she felt such strong feelings for Will, she set them aside so that she could give her heart to Jem. Also, I would have hated her if she broke Jem's heart. 
    • She has other people's best interests in mind, and doesn't make reckless and hasty decisions. I think that's why I like her more than Clary: I think she is a more relatable and realistic character because she thinks things through and cares about how her actions would affect other people.
    • The fact that Tessa and Will named their first son James. I cry. 
    • I really want her to appear in City of Heavenly Fire and put her powers to good use. That would be a cool way of connecting the two series. 
"'And maybe you should stop pitying yourself,' he said. 'Most people are lucky to have even one great love in their life. You have found two.'"
  • Will
    • Will, my Will. Oh, how I love him. Still, I don't know if I like Will or Jem more. I guess I am like Tessa in that way, I love them equally. There are parts about each that are unique, which forces you to love both. He is another selfless character since he set aside his strong love for Tessa because he didn't want to hurt Jem. I could only imagine how awful that would be to watch the one you love only show their love for your best friend. 
    • I wish there was a way for him to become immortal, so he could spend the rest of his life with Tessa and Jem, but I guess it wouldn't have given Jem the chance to love Tessa fully. He is a wonderful character and these three characters will always be in my mind and my heart. 
  • Jem
    • He is still an angel to me and he just proved again in this book how perfect he is. He is willing to give up his life for Will and Tessa's happiness. I love the scenes when he plays the violin to show his feelings. I already talked about the scene when Will is dying, but I should also mention the scene when he plays to show his love for Tessa. Those scenes are beautiful, just like him. 
    • I liked how he became a Silent Brother. I mean I didn't like it in the way that he had to give up seeing Will and Tess, but at least he didn't have to give them up forever. I think it was fitting that he became a Silent Brother and that he could help Shadowhunters in the future. It also connects him to The Mortal Instruments, and I love when the series connect. 
    • There's also something beautiful about how his time as a Silent Brother had come to a close and now he can have the life he always wanted with Tessa. Everybody wins in this book! I'm still curious about how he could stop being a Silent Brother? Maybe I will find out in City of Heavenly Fire. 
  • Charlotte
    • Charlotte is amazing! She deserves to be the Consul, as she proved that she can make difficult decisions in troubling times. I love how she is the ancestor of Jocelyn and Clary because she is a wonderful woman to look up to. 
  • Henry
    • He is awesome! At first, I really didn't understand Henry, but I have come to love him. He is so quirky, but he is a genius. He created the Sensor and helped create the Portal with Magnus! Also, I thought it was cool that he had come up with the ideas for some mundane inventions as well. 
    • I love how he didn't care that Charlotte ran the Institute and he supported her in every move she made. He stood beside her through everything and didn't judge her decisions because "she's a woman."
    • Now we know how Jocelyn and Clary got their red hair!
"Men may be stronger, but it is women who endure."
  • Sophie
    • She is such a strong woman and was meant to be a Shadowhunter. She had proven that she could be in battles and in training, but also because she had showed such strength and loyalty to the other Shadowhunters. 
  • Gideon/Gabriel/Cecily
    • Two great characters and I am so glad that they became friends with Will, especially Gabriel. I love how Lightwoods and Herondales were sort of destined to be friends. 
  • Magnus
    • I loved Magnus in The Infernal Devices. I thought he was a completely different character. He was sarcastic at times, yes, but he showed a more emotional side by alluding to how much he cared about Will. It was definitely intriguing to read about his strong attachment to Will and I remember in one of the previous books, there was a short story set in The Mortal Instruments time about how Magnus made a vow to never become as attached to Shadowhunters as he had in this series. I guess he broke that vow though. :)
"'Bright star,' Magnus said, and his eyes were thoughtful, as if he were remembering something, or someone. 'Those of you who are mortal, you burn so fiercely. And you fiercer than most, Will. I will not ever forget you.'"
Are you sick of me talking yet? Count how many times I said beautiful/wonderful/love in this blog post and let me know. I am actually very interested.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Goodreads Updates 


Kristen

Book enthusiast and avid reader of all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment