Mini Reviews #1

I decided to do two mini reviews for the books that I recently finished. I am well on my way to finishing Cassandra Clare's books, as I am now currently reading City of Heavenly Fire. Before I could read the last book in The Mortal Instruments series, I wanted to read The Bane Chronicles and The Shadowhunter's Codex as I am reading her books in publication order. Here are my mini reviews for these two books!
"Magnus, you were trying to flirt with your own plate."

Summary (From Goodreads)

Fans of The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices can get to know warlock Magnus Bane like never before in this collection of New York Times bestselling tales, in print for the first time with an exclusive new story and illustrated material.

This collection of eleven short stories illuminates the life of the enigmatic Magnus Bane, whose alluring personality, flamboyant style, and sharp wit populate the pages of the #1 New York Times bestselling series, The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices.

Originally released one-by-one as e-only short stories by Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson, and Sarah Rees Brennan, this compilation presents all ten together in print for the first time and includes a never-before-seen eleventh tale, as well as new illustrated material.

My Thoughts

I'm glad I read The Bane Chronicles, because I now have a deeper insight into Magnus Bane's life. He is a very interesting character, full of sass and glitter. My favorite part about reading these stories was reading the scenes between Magnus and characters that I love, including Tessa, Will, and Jem. Also, in a couple of the stories, you learn the backstory behind certain events, which I found enlightening and helpful to clarify those events. There were some stories that I enjoyed more than others...basically the ones with Tessa, Will, and Jem, who am I kidding. But, seriously, I found myself a little bored while reading some of them. Magnus is actually a pretty complex character, and it's intriguing to see behind his sarcasm, glitter, and eccentric outfits. WHO IS HIS FATHER THOUGH?! Anyways, if you are a fan of his sarcasm, glitter, and eccentric outfits, these stories are chock full of them, so definitely read this book! 

Story #1: What Really Happened in Peru
Ahh, the mystery behind why Magnus was banned from Peru, as referenced in one of The Mortal Instruments books. Prepare to be disappointed. 

Story #2: The Runaway Queen
This wasn't one of my favorite stories, but Magnus finds himself saving Marie Antoinette from a bunch of bloodthirsty vampires. If that's your thing, then you'll enjoy this one.

Story #3: Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale
If you have read The Infernal Devices, you know that Edmund Herondale is Will's father, so I enjoyed reading Magnus' interactions with him. I think this story shows why Magnus felt like he owed something to Will, because he witnessed Edmund stripped of his Marks because he fell in love with a human.

Story #4: The Midnight Heir
My favorites were in this one!! So, I liked it, of course. It was about Will and Tessa's son being drunk and rebellious, all because he is in love. There seems to be a trend where Herondales love very deeply. Magnus saves him from doing anything too stupid and brings him back home to Will and Tessa, with a special appearance from Brother Zacchariah. If you're a fan of The Infernal Devices like me and miss these characters, I think you'll enjoy this one. 

Story #5: The Rise of the Hotel Dumort
This one was kind of boring. It was set during the Great Depression, and Magnus basically throws parties for mundanes who miss alcohol (this was the Prohibition) and fights a demon. Eh. 

Story #6: Saving Raphael Santiago
This was an interesting backstory behind Raphael Santiago becoming a vampire. If you've read The Mortal Instruments, you know about this vampire. Raphael lives with Magnus, which sparks witty banter and a friendship between Raphael and the warlock, Ragnor Fell. 

Story #7: The Fall of the Hotel Dumort
Vampire drink blood of mundanes who do cocaine = vampires are drugged as well. 

Story #8: What to Buy the Shadowhunter Who Already Has Everything (And Who You're Not Officially Dating Anyway)
This story is set in The Mortal Instruments world when Magnus and Alec aren't even dating yet. Magnus is wondering what he should buy Alec for his birthday, and it's actually really cute because he has no idea what to buy. He even asks a demon for some advice. I enjoyed this one. 

Story #9: The Last Stand of the New York Institute
We get to see the infamous Circle in this story and an evil young Valentine. I like this one because we get the backstory behind Jocelyn coming to Magnus for help with erasing Clary's memories. Also, Jocelyn meets Tessa, so of course, I enjoyed this one.

Story #10: The Curse of True Love (and First Dates)
Magnus and Alec have a very shaky first date, but it's too precious. 

Story #11: The Voicemail of Magnus Bane
This is all of Magnus' voicemails after the incident in City of Lost Souls (don't want to spoil if you haven't read it). Featuring a very shouty Isabelle. 

🌟🌟🌟

Summary (From Goodreads)

The Clave is pleased to announce the newest edition of the Nephilim’s oldest and most famous training manual: the Shadowhunter’s Codex. Since the thirteenth century, the Codex has been the young Shadowhunter’s best friend. When you’re being swarmed by demons it can be easy to forget the finer points of obscure demon languages or the fastest way to stop an attack of Raum demons. With the Codex by your side, you never have to worry. 

Now in its twenty-seventh edition, the Codex covers it all: the history and the laws of our world; how to identify, interact with, and if necessary, kill that world’s many colorful denizens; which end of the stele is the end you write with. No more will your attempt to fight off rogue vampires and warlocks be slowed by the need to answer endless questions from your new recruits: What is a Pyxis? Why don’t we use guns? If I can’t see a warlock’s mark, is there a polite way to ask him where it is? Where do we get all our holy water? Geography, History, Magic, and Zoology textbook all rolled into one, the Codex is here to help new Shadowhunters navigate the beautiful, often brutal world that we inhabit. 

Do not let it be said that the Clave is outdated or, as the younger Shadowhunters say, “uncool”: this new edition of the Codex will be available not only in the usual magically-sealed demonskin binding, but also in a smart, modern edition using all of today’s most exciting printing techniques, including such new features as a sturdy clothbound cover, a protective dust jacket, and information about title, author, publisher, and so on conveniently available right on the cover. You’ll be pleased to know that it fits neatly into most satchels, and unlike previous editions, it rarely sets off alarm wards.

My Thoughts

I feel like a real Shadowhunter after reading this. It does feel like a textbook, but you come away with a lot of knowledge of the Shadow World and what typical Shadowhunters have to learn. I really enjoyed the little notes from Clary, Jace, and Simon in the margins of the book. Also, the graphics are absolutely stunning. Don't read this book during the school year, because I felt like I was studying for a test or doing homework. But, skim through the boring parts and read all of the little notes, and you will enjoy it! 

Now I give a shout out to Cassandra Clare for developing such a deep world and strong characters. I do not know how she did it. The characters feel like they are actually real and like you know them. Seriously, it's astounding how Cassandra was able to weave a tale and connect it all together in the course of so many books. She deserves some serious props.

🌟🌟🌟

Kristen

Book enthusiast and avid reader of all things.

2 comments:

  1. Magnus Bane was always one of my favorite characters in the Mortal Instruments series, but I never realized he had a book written exclusively about him. I'm always deterred a bit by short stories, but I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try if he was your favorite character! All of the stories revolve around him. I thought some were better than others, but you should see if you would like them!!

      Delete