Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

"We live and breathe words. ...It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone. They could be honest with me, and I with them."
The Infernal Devices:
1) Clockwork Angel ðŸŒŸðŸŒŸðŸŒŸðŸŒŸ

Summary (From Goodreads)

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, but her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.

My Thoughts

Okay, I can 100% say that after finishing Clockwork Prince, The Infernal Devices is 10000x better than The Mortal Instruments, in my opinion. I AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH THIS SERIES. IT HAS MOST DEFINITELY BECOME ONE OF MY FAVORITE SERIES OF ALL TIME. Cassandra Clare has outdone herself with Clockwork Prince. I had loved Clockwork Angel, but this has easily become one of the best sequels I have ever read and made me fall even more in love (to the point where I am practically obsessed). I am so hooked on these characters and THIS LOVE TRIANGLE. (This review may consist of a lot of caps, I am sorry in advance). 

Cassandra Clare has a fascinating way of creating a love triangle. She makes you fall deeply in love with both boys. Once you find yourself shipping one of the characters with Tessa, Cassandra writes one paragraph and you just switch your ship like that. Seriously, I love both Will and Jem. Cassandra, why do you do this to me?! I feel personally victimized. I am rooting for both characters, which is just the worst feeling because I don't know whether to feel happy for one boy or extremely sad for the other. Like, I love this love triangle, but it also hurts me emotionally. 

If I can describe Clockwork Prince in a phrase, it would be: emotional rollercoaster. One minute, I am swooning at the lovely words that these boys speak, the next I am enraged at a traitorous character, and then I'm crying and heartbroken. The joys of reading and becoming addicted to a series. The Infernal Devices has greatly outshone The Mortal Instruments to me, and I just wish this series had six books. Wow, I seriously love it. 

(Proceed with caution - could be spoilery below)

What Worked:

  • Can I keep talking about this love triangle please?!
    • I think that is the greatest thing about this book, to be honest.
    • I will never understand how Cassandra Clare can make you feel such feelings for both boys in this story. I completely love both of them. They have two different personalities, but they just work. And, I could see both with Tessa. Each brings out something special in Tessa.
    • However, I have a favorite. I have to say it is Will. I feel basic saying that, but Cassandra writes their scenes in such a way that makes me feel that Tessa and Will belong together and then when she writes scenes with Jem, it feels like Tessa is settling almost. After we find out Will's curse, I immediately just feel so bad for him. He reveals that he pushes people away for their own good, because he think they will die if they care for him. Like, how sad would that be in real life?! I can't even imagine. I just feel for him so much, and then he finally founds out he can be loved without hurting people and he is so happy and is dying to see Tessa... and she has already accepted Jem's proposal. I seriously yelled out, "NOOOO," in my room while I read that. That is literally tragic. It makes me crave for them to find their way to be together in Clockwork Princess.
    • And, that kills me. Because I love Jem. He is so kind and caring and thoughtful and only sees the good in people. He is the definition of a gentleman. I don't want to see him hurt, because he is such a precious angel. So, this makes me mad at Tessa!! Why did you have to kiss him and lead him on if you feel such strong feelings for Will? You are going to break his heart and that will make me hate you Tessa!!! 
    • So, I have a very serious problem here, because one of them is going to end up hurt, and I love both of them. Or both of them could end up hurt, if Tessa gets hurt. There are so many possibilities and my heart can't take it. 
"Will has always been the brighter burning star, the one to catch attention -- but Jem is a steady flame, unwavering and honest. He could make you happy."

What Didn't Work:

  • The plot wasn't too striking, but I don't care. That love triangle is enough for me. I would probably die if the plot was racing at a mile a minute (along with my heart) while all of this love triangle drama was going on.
    • I don't know if I should be ashamed of myself for this, because normally I would prefer more plot, than relationship drama (like in City of Fallen Angels). However, I think that book was different. In this book, I am 100x more attached to these characters, so I care more about the relationship drama. Sue me, I don't know! I'm not ashamed!!

Characters

  • Tessa
    • Tessa wasn't as striking in this book as she was in Clockwork Angel for me.
    • I wasn't a big fan of her just switching between boys every night. (So, I guess I have to clarify and say I am more attached to Will and Jem than to Tessa's feelings?)
    • I still like her, but I wish she could be a bit more sensitive when feelings are involved. 
  • Will
    • I love him so much more after this book.
    • I always thought he was a misunderstood person, and that there must be something he was hiding, so when we found out what it was, I forgot all about his previous personality issues and fell even more in love.
    • Like, he sacrificed his happiness so other people wouldn't be hurt? He had to leave his family at such a young age because he thought he would kill them, all for it to turn out to be a lie. I can't even imagine. 
    • I just want him to have all of the love to make up for it, but then I am heavily torn by this love triangle. I still have to say that I prefer him with Tessa because it just seems like their attraction to each other is so much stronger.
"I felt the way you thought, hoped, felt, dreamt. I felt I was dreaming and thinking and feeling with you. I dreamed what you dreamed, wanted what you wanted -- and then I realized that truly I just wanted you."
  • Jem
    • I think Jem is a beautiful angel and I want to marry him. He has the kindest heart and I just couldn't bear to see him hurt. Please don't kill him off Cassandra!!! Even if he doesn't end up with Tessa and she breaks his heart, I don't want it to be made even worse by him dying. I am seriously hoping they find a cure to his disease in the next book. 
"I could not tell you if I loved you the first moment I saw you, or if it was the second or third or fourth. But I remember the first moment I looked at you walking toward me and realized that somehow the rest of the world seemed to vanish when I was with you."
  • Jessamine
    • I could not believe that she was such a traitor. While I was reading that part, I literally thought she was going to be like: No, I don't love Nate! I am just pretending to help all of you get Mortmain! ...But no. She did not say this, and she continually defended herself for loving Nate. So, I am not a fan.
    • I hope she redeems herself in Clockwork Princess though somehow, but I don't see how she could.
  • Charlotte
    • Go Charlotte!! I am so happy that she proved that she can run The Institute and she did not give up. She blackmailed Benedict and took what is rightfully hers! I am proud.
    • Also, can't wait for a little baby Shadowhunter, awww!!
  • Sophie
    • I love Sophie and I am so glad she isn't just a minor character in this book. She adds some substance to the book, and I hope she finds some happiness with Gideon because she deserves it. (There was a moment there that I thought Gideon was gonna backstab her, and I was getting really nervous because I just want her to be happy. But, he didn't, so I am okay with him right now.)
  • Henry
    • I love when Henry and Charlotte show their true feelings to each other! (Although, I do not understand how they have been married for years without knowing these things...)
    • He is quirky, but I like that about him. I mean he made the Sensor...he's a genius!!
So, yes, you can tell I have a lot of feelings about this book and that I absolutely adored it. I could reread this book an infinite number of times, but I just really want to read Clockwork Princess RIGHT NOW. However, I am reading Cassandra Clare's books in chronological order, so I am back to The Mortal Instruments series. I am going to try and read that as fast as possible, so I can get to Clockwork Princess ASAP though. I cannot wait.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Goodreads Updates


Kristen

Book enthusiast and avid reader of all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment