A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

"Don't feel bad for one moment about doing what brings you joy."
Summary (Goodreads)
Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever. 

My Thoughts
I found this book to be extremely enjoyable to read! I could not stop reading once I got into it since the writing was beautiful and the plot was so intriguing. Let me be honest, I did not know this was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast when I started reading it, I just picked it up because I had heard so much about it. At times, I thought the plot could have connected, but I didn't see THAT many similarities with it. I don't care, I still loved it!!

I have not read any other books by Sarah J. Maas, but this one has motivated me to do so because I loved it so much. I fell in love with the characters and the world and I just need to read A Court of Mist and Fury right now to continue falling in love. Seriously, I am captivated by this book if you can't already tell. 

(Read at own risk - I don't know if I was very spoilery but still)

What Worked:
  • The Magical World of Prythian
    • I was highly intrigued by this world and would like to experience it for myself...minus the dark magic and evil creatures of course 
    • The Spring Court sounded absolutely beautiful (especially that starlight lake OMG)
    • I love a book with a map, and this book had one of Prythian which always helps confused readers
  • Handsome Boys
    • Just had to include this as a shoutout to Tamlin and Rhysand
    • And Lucian...he sounds like a beautiful guy despite having one eye ripped out, bonus points for his humor
"'I love you,' he whispered, and kissed my brow. 'Thorns and all.'" 
What Didn't Work:
  • Hmmm...this is tough because I thought it was amazing but if someone was twisting my arm, I might say:
  • The Pacing?
    • Honestly, I didn't mind the pacing that much - I thought it gave time to develop the world and the relationships of characters
    • There were times at the beginning of the book that I just wanted it to dive right into the magical world and ALSO just remembered this but when Tamlin sent Feyre back to her home, I did not like that one bit and wanted her right back in Prythian no matter how dangerous it was for her
Characters
  • Feyre
    • Can I just say how beautiful this name is? Like she sounds like a little fairy already and I kind of want this name for myself
    • I thought Feyre as a character was interesting since she was the youngest girl in her family and she was the most resourceful, as she was basically the reason her family was surviving 
    • Honestly, I was just jealous of her - cool name and she gets to live with Tamlin?? Give me your life!!
  • Tamlin
    • Ahh yes, I loved him
    • Especially that one seductive scene after that ceremony in the Spring Court - so good (if you've read this, you know what I mean)
    • He's just so protective and romantic and I just want this High Lord in my life
    • He brings her to a lake of starlight and dances with her all night ... how much more romantic can a guy get?
  • Lucian
    • At first, I was like why do you have to be so mean to Feyre??
    • But then, he grew on me and I appreciated his loyalty to his friends, especially Tamlin and his humor 
  • Rhysand
    • This was a very interesting character to enter the book
    • I didn't know how to feel about him at first, since he seemed to be kind of cruel 
    • He's got that dark and handsome thing going for him, but when he helped Clary, why did he basically force her to sell herself to him and drag her around basically naked?
    • I don't know, but he definitely is intriguing...
Overall, I thought this book was amazing and rated it five stars. I cannot wait to read the next book in the series and I have heard great reviews about it, so that makes me even more excited! If you haven't read this book yet (which I doubt you have not, I am probably the last person to read this), you need to!!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Kristen

Book enthusiast and avid reader of all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment